Friday, December 19, 2008

Getting Ready for Christmas

Let me just start w/ a disclaimer that we're not going to confess how long ago these events took place.... :-) Last week I was pretty busy, but this week Katie has been sick all week so I don't have that excuse... Or maybe that is my new excuse :-)

We had a GREAT long weekend recently getting ready for Christmas. It was nice in a way b/c the Saturday of this long weekend was Spain's Constitution Day. So everything was closed and we had to stay home all day! It was just the ticket to catch up from a busy few weeks since our trip to TX. We started out the fun by making sugar cookies together - our 1st Christmas cookies of the season. It was a rare occasion that we all got to hang out in the kitchen together! :-) I think Katie enjoyed Daddy making cookies more than just Mommy - Daddy encourages a lot more sneaking of cookie dough :-)

The next night we went into downtown Madrid to see the Christmas lights. This was pretty crazy b/c it was really rainy and really cold and there are really a lot of people who wanted to do the same thing! This picture is pretty much what we could see wherever we went: a sea of people and umbrellas! We spent the evening getting pretty damp and trying not to spear people with our umbrellas. Of course, whenever I would peg someone pretty good and would apologize, they would look at me like I was crazy. I guess no one thought any apology was necessary!


This is the tree in the Puerta del Sol (where you might remember the statue of the bear & the strawberry tree is) - it was very cool looking. I think I liked the more colorful tree in the Plaza de Espana though. We have some friends from church who have just moved down into the centro so they took this 2nd pic of us. We also got to go hang out with them and have a coffee - and dry out a bit :-).

A very cool part of the Madrid decorations is their focus on Jesus!! It's really cool to see Him everywhere! One of the most beautiful light displays we saw is in the Puerta de Alcala. This is not my pic, but a pic I found from last year on the internet. It is the whole nativity scene in lights in the 3 openings of the arch. Absolutely beautiful! I've been told that there are also many elaborate nativity scenes downtown. We'll see if we brave the traffic to try to find them or not!

On the holiday Monday, we set off to find our Christmas tree. We traditionally have a real Christmas tree in TX, but here in Spain things are different. They are a bit more environmentally conscious here, so the only real trees I could find were in pots. Now that's fine if you have a garden (i.e. a yard), but since we do not, I had no idea what we would do w/ this tree after Christmas. Now the argument could be made that we have always just thrown out a perfectly fine tree after Christmas... but we won't go there :-). Also given the expense of the real trees, we just decided to buy an artificial one to use while we are in Spain. A bit strange feeling, but OK. We had a nice time putting the branches in according to the alphabetical clues and learning how to string lights that come in a circular strand. We also enjoyed hanging our ornaments from home. We didn't bring most of our Christmas decorations to Spain, but it was nice to make it feel like home w/ the ones we brought! I think it turned out pretty nice!


I think overall my prep for this Christmas season has been characterized by baking. I have noticed that I have far fewer "events" to go to since I'm not involved in as many activities here as I was in TX. (though I did get to go to a very fun party last weekend that was going strong at 1:30 AM when I left!) But I don't even know how many goodies I've baked! It's been fun - and I'm not done yet! :-) I have several more things to make - including a birthday cake for Jesus! Oh and for my daughter as well! :-) Can you believe she'll be 5 (!!) on Tuesday?!

2 comments:

Jan Fanning said...

Sounds like some special Christmas memories that you are building!
Hope you have a wonderful time with your parents, Becca!

Anonymous said...

What sweet pictures! I noticed the apron, Jas, very official-chef looking! You are so missed here, but how terrific that you are having this Christmas experience there. We love you and are thinking about and talking about you three often. Talk with you on the 23rd! :)
Love, J/B/C/C