Monday, April 14, 2008

But there are still challenges...

Our toilet has been broken for a month - it seems hard to believe that is not an exaggeration, but I just went back and counted. It has actually been longer than that - it's just been 4 weeks since they fixed it last time when it only worked for a day before breaking again.

They were supposed to come to fix it while we were in Dublin (and it would have made the list for the good week post, believe me!), but we got home Sat and it was still broken. At first we thought they hadn't come at all, but it looked like they had and just fixed the sink. When we 1st moved in, the sink was dripping just a teeny bit, but the portero (guard of our complex) had tweaked and it's been fine since.

Well, it turns out that I may have been using the wrong Spanish word for toilet.

This would probably be funny (and probably is to many of you :-) ) if I weren't so frustrated... and if our toilet were actually fixed. So check back with me in a little bit to see how funny it seems.

I did look up the word for toilet a couple of weeks ago, and found the word I've been using in the dictionary (lavabo). This is also the word they have on many public toilets around town. So I truly don't know if it is the word the Spanish use or not. But our portero is Porteguese, so he more likely knows the Latin Spanish word for toilet, which is inordino. (the spelling may be creative here, but you get the point)

So maybe this is why it's taken a month - maybe they just haven't seen the urgency to fix a slightly dripping faucet... when in reality it's our TOILET that's not working!!! Grief!!!!

Did I mention that we're starting Spanish lessons soon???!?!?
Becca

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This would be so frustrating! Praying for ya'll!
Jenn/Bryan/Candace/Collin

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.