Monday, March 17, 2008

Great Weekend!!

Another fun weekend in Spain.

We slept in a little on Saturday and Katie and I went on a breakfast date to Starbucks. She noticed that from the window we can see the mountains. They are snowcapped and beautiful! It was fun.

We picked Mom up at 11am and headed into those mountains to the beautiful city of Segovia. It's about an hour northwest of Madrid.

The highlights of Segovia are:
-A Roman era Aqueduct. It was built in the first century and it's amazing. Beautiful. Huge. It's still a functioning part of their water delivery system today. Crazy.
-The CASTLE where King Ferdinand and Queen Isabela lived. It's the first castle that I've ever seen and it didn't disappoint. Wow. We climbed up the VERY winding & narrow stairs to the tower to find an incredible view of the city.
- Coffee and hot chocolate. You think I'm joking... but no. Their coffee (cafe con leche) with milk is outstanding. (Note from Becca - the pig intestine soup was not so much on the highlight list :-) Beware of menu items that are "local specialties". Also not so much on the highlight list was the pig's foot sticking off of Jason's dinner plate. It was a very interesting lunch.)
- Believe it or not... we ran into people we knew in Segovia. It's hard for even the social animal in me to believe. One couple was from one of our flights overseas. They were traveling back when we were here in December. It was neat to see them again. They speak essentially no English, but we plan to get together with them soon. I'll let you know what stories occur as a result!!

Then... we drove back home and stopped at McDonalds on the way for a burger and fries. We think they are still doing the transfat here b/c the fries were GOOD.

Sunday...
We did our usual thing on Sunday. Church in the am. Lunch with a different pastor's family for the afternoon. It was a relaxing day and we enjoyed getting to know this couple who moved 7 months ago from California. They have 3 grown kids and are very comfortable people to spend time with. They had another couple and a mother/daughter also over for dinner... so it was nice to spend time with everyone.

All in all, a great weekend.

Jason and the Spanish speaking girls...

P.S. I'm going to Israel tomorrow for meetings in Haifa and Tel Aviv. It's the furthest part of my territory and (if you can believe it) one of the areas that gets very little attention. I won't have time to explore much... but I'm mainly praying for safety and that God will let me see a little something historic while I'm there. It's a little frightening to go to this area, but I'm essentially escorted everywhere I'll be going... so it should be fine. Pray for me!

P.P.S. We are VERY excited that Rich (Jason's dad) is coming for a visit. I arrive here from Israel at 11am and he comes in at 2pm! It'll be GREAT to have our first visitor to our Spanish home. We are looking forward to a great visit. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason, Becca and Katie,
Your trip to Segovia sounds great. The food may be a bit too much though.

I will see you in Madrid tomorrow, Friday! I am very excited and will enjoy being with you all and seeing your new country.

Love to you all,
Dad/Rich/Grandpa