Saturday, March 15, 2008

Strange happenings on the streets of Madrid...

While slightly embarassing... I just have to share this story.

A little background...

I have a laptop bag that has a handle and rolls. I carry lots of stuff with me and I find this is just easier on my back and shoulder. After working in Europe now for 10 weeks, I can say with certainty that only foreigners roll their laptop bags. It´s a source of great interest when locals ´hear me coming´ with my bag. The sidewalks here are mostly brick and it´s very clear when I´m nearby. People give me all manor of strange looks. It´s amusing to me too... so everyone is enjoying themselves.

Then came Thursday.

I had a couple meetings at our downtown sales office so jumped on the metro and took the train in. When I made my final stop, I began a 10 minute walk to the IBM building. Beautiful weather, perfect morning. Great coffee in my veins and a London newspaper (a big treat for me since they are $5/3€ here) in my bag for the lunch break. Loving my life.

I´m rolling along the sidewalk with black bag in tow when I vaguely notice a woman coming towards me on the right. She was walking beside a 1/2 wall and we were on a collision course. I sped up a little in order to miss her and as I slipped my bag in front of her, the dog I had NOT SEEN with her ATTACKED my laptop bag!! I jumped a mile and (might have) screamed (but I´ll never admit it).

Come to find out, the dog wasn´t angry... it was a playful kind of romp on some strange, square ´dog´ that he believed wanted to play. It was a real hoot.

The owner (in Spanish of course) apologized profusely to me while seeming a little amused herself. I assured her in perfect spanish (right!!) that it was no problem. When my heart rate came back down to normal, I laughed and began to look forward to telling you all about this one.

It seems even foreign dogs know that we´re foreigners...

mucho amor,
Jason for the 2 sleeping (8am here) beauties

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jas, what a funny story! Here's hoping you miss any further ferocious attacks upon your pet laptop bag!:)
Kiss Katie and ask her if Peter Pan has shown up at her window yet?
Love,
Jenn/Bryan/Candace/Collin