Monday, February 18, 2008

Some progress - still no ropa (clothes)

Hello friends from Madrid... day 2!!

Good things about the day:
- We spent it together. :-) That is a very, very good thing. It was a good day.
- We didn't spend 3 hours in the airport like yesterday with 200 lbs of carryon luggage. (Becca was laughing at this exaggeration until we did the math and realized it was true!)
- We slept in till 10:30am (yes, Jason too!!)
- We bought some cool new European clothes that (we found out AFTER we bought them) that Air France will pay for them. :-)
- We learned how to do laundry in a hotel sink
- The entry point into the European Union via France and not Spain caused a little complexity with Immigration. We resolved that with a trip to the police station and all is now OK. No one even had to wear handcuffs! (though Katie was close at one point)
- We are learning that life overseas can't be well managed sometimes. No matter how hard you work and prepare, one must be flexible...

Not so good things:
- We still have no baggage and no idea where they are. Air France and American Airlines join us in this cluelessness
- We are surrounded by wet laundry in our hotel. It smells nice, but it's not what we had in mind for our hotel decor!
- Work continues to wait for Jason. I'll likely spend a couple hours at the office tomorrow afternoon to hit the critical stuff.

Pray:
- Seriously... please pray that all 7 of our bags get here soon. It's a major stressor for all 3 of us
- That when I'm working, I'm super productive and that things go quickly
- That Becca and Katie will be ok taking the metro around Madrid without me
- That we'll be a good witness in all of this. I'm reminded that our time here (and everywhere) is meant to be a light in a dark place. Pray we do that through the frustrations and struggles we are facing.

We love and miss you all. I was putting Katie to bed tonight and she didn't want to talk about Spain b/c it was making her miss home.

Jason for we 3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola Jason & Becca & Katie,
You are having a different introduction to your new city. I am sure it is very frustrating not to have your clothes and all of the necessities in your bags. I am praying they will get them to you tomorrow. Hang in there.

Good to hear they didn't cuff Katie. She is a rebel. haha Give her a big hug for me.

Becca, you will have to show me the metro system when I visit you all. I am hoping everything goes smoothly from now on for you.

Lots of love and hugs,
Dad/Rich/Grandp