Jason & I have been really enjoying the EuroCopa 2008 that is now going on in Switzerland and Austria. (much to my surprise!) This is a European championship of soccer teams (i.e. futbol) representing each European country. (For example, the Madrid team Real Madrid is made up of players around the world - think David Beckham from England playing for the Los Angeles team. But the EuroCopa is more like the Olympics where the Spanish team only consists of players that are actually Spanish.) Spain beat Italy last night in an overtime penalty kick shoot out. It was quite exciting. Apparently Spain hasn't beaten Italy since 1922 or something like that - and now they will play in the Semi Finals against Russia on Thursday.
This is like the SuperBowl on steroids - people are CRAZY about this here! As we are watching, you can always hear people all around us in our neighborhood yelling at their TVs as well when something big happens. :-) Things also regularly get rescheduled if they interfere with a big game!
So I thought you might enjoy a little Monday morning motivational music. This is a bit old - it's from Spain's victory over Sweden last week. But it was the best one I could find that shows the craziness - and so you could hear the anthem, or "himno" that is ringing in our ears :-). It says "Podemos, Podemos, Si!" and every now and then throws in Espana. This translates to "We can do It!, We Can Do it! Yes!"
Enjoy :-)
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We are truly loving this! The games are too late in the evening... but otherwise... this is GREAT fun. Root on Spain Thursday against Russia! The game will be live on ESPN in the US at roughly 2pm Central time.
Jason
#1 son is obsessed with soccer. I do believe that Real Madrid is his favorite.
He wears only soccer shirts, soccer shoes. He lives to play and watch soccer. He has every game on the DVR. (what did we do before the DVR?)
Sadly we had a little monor teenage incident and he was grounded from TV and had to miss a game. (Dave would not let him record it and watch it later) You'd thought we asked him to drink poison!
That boy loves soccer. I think he'd move to Madrid just to be close to the team! :o)
Well, he has a place to stay if he wants to come. :-) My brother grew up playing soccer, but I confess I've been slow to appreciate it. I think I am enjoying it now b/c it's such a community experience when EVERYONE is watching the same game!!
Post a Comment