Wednesday, June 18, 2008

God's Grace

It's been a tough 10 days since we've been back from vacation. I've been wanting to blog about it (to ask for prayer!), but I've been too busy dealing with it.

Katie's been having a really hard time at school. We've had hints of it before, but after we got back from vacation it really all came out. She was feeling like she didn't have any friends at school in Spain. I'm not really sure what changed - maybe the reality of us being here for more than just a couple of months was setting in, I think there had been some unkindness from some of the girls at school, or maybe Katie was just feeling more frustrated by her attempts to communicate with the friends she had been playing with. Not sure. But she has been really discouraged and very sad about going to school. This had escalated into screaming prolonged fits when we dropped her off at school each morning. Not fun. Jason even took her yesterday (something that has worked in the past), but she was just as bad for him as for me.

It's just so hard to know what to do in these situations. Clearly screaming fits are not acceptable, but she was clearly hurting and just really sad. Added to our confusion is the fact that school is over tomorrow for the summer - a good thing that we knew this stage would be short, but I was concerned we wouldn't really come to any sort of resolution in this - just a postponement until Sept or some later date.

In praying and thinking about this I had just realized that Katie was listening to a lie and not the truth - she does have friends at her Spanish school, friends that LOVE her... just that don't speak much or any English. (and yes, I well remember listening to this same lie as a girl...) So I started praying that she would choose to focus on the truth instead of this lie. I also read a great book my mom had given me about kids moving cross culturally. It told a story in there about how the author's son had faced a very difficult day at school with a situation he didn't know how to handle, they prayed for God to help him, and then after he left for school, the mom prayed fervently that God would visibly show up for her little boy and that he would SEE God working in his life personally. So I also started praying that this would be an opportunity for Katie's faith to grow and for her to see God's personal help in her difficult times.

I think it's hard for me to pray those sorts of prayers... b/c God does say no sometimes when we pray... and who am I to "expect" something like that from Him.

But God's grace abounds.

This morning started out the same as the past few - Katie was really clingy all morning, really anxious, really vocal about not wanting to go to school. Even as we walked up to the building, she was wanting me to pick her up and was starting to cry like she had the past few mornings. My main new strategy of the morning was to leave as quickly as possible - to try to avoid her having time to really get worked up. So I sat down near her cubby with her in my lap, and she still wasn't really crying. Then her teacher, Amanda, came to sit down by us to say good morning. I said I was going to go and let her go with Amanda, so Amanda asked if Katie wanted her to hold her hand or pick her up. (pick her up of course - and yes, her teacher is truly wonderful) Then they made a plan to go to the window of the classroom and wave at me as I left. And KATIE DIDN'T EVEN CRY!!!! I could tell she was still really scared and sad, but she held it together and was so brave. I was so proud of her I could have burst! (and yes, I was doing the crying for her :-) )

As I left, and as Katie & I talked about it after school, I realized how specifically God had answered my prayer. She saw Him help her in such a tangible way. And she was able to do what for her was impossible because God helped her. After school she told me "it was the best day ever". Some of this was due to them having the end of the year party today with loads of candy and junk, eating hot dogs & ice cream for lunch, etc... :-) But I think it was also because she sees God's love for her in a new way.

In between the amazing things we are experiencing here in Europe, this gig is really tough sometimes. But God brought us here to Spain for a reason, He is using us and giving us meaningful work to do for Him here and He is always faithful to help us through the rough patches.

Thanks for supporting us in the good times and bad!
Becca

4 comments:

CAMINO said...

WOW! Praise God for such an awesome answer to prayer!!! We love you & will continue praying for friends for all(-:

Poppi

Anonymous said...

Praise God for meeting Katie right where she was and showing love to her. Thanks for sharing this story. We will pray for good friends and good times.
We love you SO much!
Jenn/Bryan/Candace/Collin

avis & paul said...

Dear friends,

How exciting to read of your trusting prayer for God to work in Katie's little heart to show her in a tangible way his care and love for her.
love you much, mrs. avis & mr. paul

Anonymous said...

Becca, Jason and Katie,
It is fantastic that you have all of the wonderful opportunities that living in Spain affords you to see Europe, meet more people and being a part in helping others. But, it is tough not being able to enjoy the everyday things that you could do at home in the U.S. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, encourage and make your adjustments to Madrid easier. God does provide what you need but it isn't easy to see it sometimes when you need it "right now". I am so glad that Katie's school year ended on a happy day.

Big hugs and love for you all.
Rich/Dad/Grandpa