Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bonito?

I can't remember if I've mentioned it, but we have a new canary!

As a birthday present last year (2008), Jason had told me that he would buy me a canary when we got to Spain. It was very sweet since I was so sad about leaving my doggies behind in TX. Well, we got here and were traveling so much and had so many other things to figure out about living in Spain that I just never bought a canary.

Well, this year on my birthday, Jason gave me a canary again :-). And this time, he took me the very next Saturday to pick it out so he was sure I would use his gift :-).

So we named him Bonito, which basically means Beautiful Boy in Spanish. There is always a bit of uncertainty in buying a canary b/c only the males sing and it is always seems a bit of a guess as to whether you actually have a male or not. But he has been singing like crazy and has been such a delight! I put him up high on top of my bookshelf and I think he really likes being up high above the bustle of the living room. I think it makes him feel safer and happier and thus he sings more.

Well, this weekend, Bonito laid an egg. Hmmm......

At least she sings. :-) Jason keeps suggesting we teach her to sing "Dude Looks Like a Lady."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL - hilarious!!! ENJOY!!! I want one of those in my new house - whenever that may be and whichever b-day that may be!!!

Anonymous said...

that cracked me up!

Sounds like our cat Larry I had as a kid.....he turned out to be she......

Anonymous said...

How funny -- I've had the same happen but the "male" didn't sing or lay an egg. Love her name! Mom

Anonymous said...

LOL! So, are you now calling her Bonita?? That reminds me of when we first got our cat Jett...we thought he was a she and her name was Jewel..didn't take long to figure out we were WAY off. Would be way harder with a canary, I'm thinking. Maybe the Easter Bunny left the egg in Bonito's cage!:)
Love you,
Jenn